Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Strawberry Pecan Salad


Once again, I have an amazing recipe from my sister-in-law Kim. That girl can cook! This salad has become quite the staple at all of our anniversary parties and baby showers and family picnics. It sounds very time consuming but it's really not. So here you go folks...If your butt gets bigger, it's not because of me...you can blame Kim for this very addicting salad.

Strawberry Pecan Salad

1 bag spring mix salad

1/2 square container of fresh strawberries, sliced

1/2 c to 1 cup candied pecans (recipe below)

Mozzarella cheese (diced)

10 or so grape or cherry tomatoes (optional)

1/4 to 1/2 chopped avocado (optional)

Classic French Vinaigrette (with added honey) (recipe below)

Jaime's quick tip: If you buy string cheese in bulk, like I do, just cut up string cheese for this salad. It's makes it easy especially if you are making a small salad.

I usually make this for a large crowd so I buy the spring mix in the big rectangle plastic container at Costco. I then adjust the recipe for the bigger salad. It's really based on how much you like of the different items you put in. I usually double the recipe of the dressing if I make a large batch like that.




Classic French Viniagrette

1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of salt
2-3 pinches of sugar
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
Whisk sugar with vinegar until dissolved. Add mustard and whisk until very well blended. Add garlic and salt. Very slowly dribble the oil unto the vinegar while continuously whisking.
NOTE: For the Strawberry Pecan Salad, add some honey to the dressing to make it sweet.




Candied Pecans

Chop pecans up. About 1 cup. I use my Pampered Chef chopper but you could put them in a food processor but that's a little too chopped up for me.
Heat up 1/2 cup sugar in a pan on medium high heat in a non-stick pan. Sugar will start to dissolve. Watch closely. Once this happens, start stirring until sugar is completely liquid. Take off the heat and add the chopped pecans. Stir until well coated. Pour immediately on foil. Let cool. Break into pieces. Great on salad and as for a snack, as well. YUMMY!













2 comments:

Jenifer (and_she_makes_four) said...

This salad is delish, I've had it twice from Jaime, one time at Kristen and Vals and then at my baby shower this past weekend.

When I make it, I add raspberries and goat cheese instead of strawberries and mozz cheese.

Either way, YOU can't go wrong!

My crazy crazy life said...

WHOA Jen...you just blew me away...raspberries and goat cheese???? Girl, you rock...I'm soooo making that next time! Sounds delish. Thanks for the idea!