Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pepper Steak

This is my mother-in-law Donna's recipe. I follow this recipe from the May I Have Your Recipe book that we all have. It's title is Pepper Steak from the Moy Family. So when you see a asian dish with the name Moy in it...it's bound to be good. I've tried many a pepper steak but the way Donna makes it is my favorite. If you follow this recipe the way she says to do it, you do can enjoy this the way my family does. And let me tell you, it's pretty darn yummy.

Pepper Steak

1 lb top sirloin
2 Tbs oil
Soy Sauce
Cornstarch
2 medium onions, halved, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, sliced (I've used red and it's really good too)
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (this I added...not in original recipe)
2 cups Beef Broth or water
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs cornstarch blended with 1/4 cup water and 2 tbs soy sauce
Tomato (sliced) (optional)...I don't add this because I don't love soggy tomatoes and Sydney hates them...but Scott likes it.



Slice steak. I like to pound on it first, not only to tenderize it, but to get my frustrations out. Sprinkle soy sauce all over the meat to moisten...about 1/4 cup. Sprinkle 1 Tbs cornstarch over the beef. Mix with fingers. Heat oil up in a pan on high heat. Sear meat.




Add 1 onion and minced garlic, pour in broth or water till the meat is covered, cover the skillet and simmer till tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Once tender, add the other onion, bell peppers and mushrooms. Simmer for about 5 minutes. If you like your green pepper softer, you can cook longer. Add cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce. Add more if you like the gravy thicker. Add salt, pepper and more soy sauce to taste. Serve over rice.

Jaime's Tips: I think the key to making the meat really yummy is definitely searing it first and then stir frying in the veggies.

Another great variation to this is to add Broccoli. My kids only eat green peppers raw. They hate them cooked. So I will add Broccoli to this instead and wa laa, Broccoli Beef.

No comments: