Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snickerdoodles

"if I was going to make the world a better place, I would do it with cookies"....Stranger Than Fiction

I've tried a few snickerdoodle recipes in the last couple of months and I think this recipe was the best. I usually use butter but this recipe called for butter flavored shortening. I happened to have some in the pantry so I tried it out. Very yummy. The cookies were crunchy on the edges but soft in the middle. Very very good!

snickerdoodles
1 cup butter flavor shortening
1 ¼ cups sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons sugar
4 tablspoons cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream together shortening, 1 ¼ cups sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in the eggs. In a separate bowl sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Slowly incorporate all of the flour mixture into the egg mixture. In a small bowl stir together the remaining sugar and the cinnamon. Form cookie dough into 1” to 1 ½” balls. Gently roll dough balls in sugar/cinnamon mixture to coat one half of the ball. Place balls sugar side up on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.


I like mine with tea but this is how the kids like 'em.

1 comment: