Monday, February 16, 2009

Roy's Grilled Steak

The steak in this picture had a little too much marbling of fat for me (I'm trying to lose weight) and it's not near as moo-ing as I like (I like really really red)...so this particular steak went to one of the kiddies.

My father in law Roy is known for his famous grilled steaks. What he does is so easy yet so yummy! I really do feel like grilling is an art that takes years to perfect. Roy has definitely perfected this fine art of grilling. My hubby Scott is second best by far...(well as far as I have tasted).

Now I know there are several ways to marinate or grill a steak, but I have to say there is no steak like a "ROY" steak. We have been following Roy's lead ever since he came up with this concoction. Try it out...you will not be disappointed.

The two ingredients involved are Lawry's Meat Tenderizer and Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce.

We usually buy New York Strip but Scott's favorite is Ribeye. We pretty much stick to Ribeye, Top Sirloin or New York Strip. Place steaks in a dish or pan. Sprinkle the tenderizer lightly over the steaks.

Using a fork, poke several holes all over the top.

Then pour a generous amount of the Teriyaki Marinade over the steaks.

Let the steaks sit for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours. Either way, you're going to come out with a pretty darn good steak. They are moist and tender and have a ton of flavor.

Make sure your grill is nice and hot when you put the steaks down. That will give them a good sear. Depending on thickness, the time will vary. We like our steaks practically mooing so we only leave ours on for about 3 1/2 minutes on each side. I like the criss cross grill marks so I will quickly toss it back on each side and turn it a quarter turn just enough to sear the marks into the steak. That's how you gets those pretty grill marks.

We always serve grilled veggies with our steaks. I will be posting about those soon. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when ever i see scott makes his steak dont he pound the steaks first ............does he do that to all his bbq

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

No, Scott does not pound the steaks first.

Jenifer (and_she_makes_four) said...

Who is anonymous...me want to know, me want to know.

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Jen, I think it's Jana, but I'm not sure.