Friday, March 27, 2009

Upside-Down Chocolate Chip Cake


I found this on Rookie Cookie's blog and even though I do not love chocolate cake, I had to make it, it looked delicious. I am a huge fan of coconut and chocolate chips so I tried this one out. It was so yummy. It was fun to make too. I couldn't wait to flip it over onto the cake plate and see all of that yummy gooey chewy goodness. Once you sprinkle the chocolate chips on, they start to melt all over the top...OH MY...you have to try this. And because I need to lose a few El Bees (lbs)...I sent the rest of the cake over to my mom and dad's house and they loved it.


Upside-Down Chocolate Chip Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
4 tsp water
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

Set oven to 350. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a 9 inch round cake pan in the oven. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and water. Sprinkle coconut and walnuts into the pan. Set pan aside.In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add milk, 1/4 cup butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir in by hand. Spread batter into prepared pan.Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake feels firm when touched. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen sides with a knife and turn out onto a cake plate. Immediately sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Let stand for 30 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

Redesign Diva said...

Girl that looks so GOOD! I am going to try that this weekend!

Thank you!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yum! Now I need some chocolate.