Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lemon Chicken (Low Fat Version)

Jaime and I are big fans of blogger, Mandy. When you have time, check out her cooking blog as well: Home with Mandy
We both came across this recipe for Lemon Chicken, Jaime and I both tried it. Because I'm still on the "gotta lose this baby weight" diet, I made my version low fat and added a few other ingredients. My family loved it, in fact, I made it twice this week so far. It's delish. Thanks Mandy and thanks Cindy (Mandy's mom) for creating this dish!

4 chicken breast
2 cans of low fat cream of chicken
1 can of salt free pieces and stems mushrooms
low fat sour cream
lemon juice
sliced almonds
salt & pepper
garlic powder
flour
olive oil
Take your chicken breasts and slice them thin, just like I did in the above picture.

Add salt & pepper and garlic powder to both sides of the chicken.

Lightly dust in flour.

Dust the other side too!

Becaused I sliced my chicken breast thin, I took 4 half breasts and created 8 breasts. Drizzle lightly with olive olive. In a preheated 400 degree oven, place the chicken in and cook for 30 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, take your 2 cans of low fat cream of chicken in a big saucepan and add your salt free mushrooms.

Add your low fat sour cream to the mix.

Stir really well.

Now this is where you want to taste, taste, taste. A lot of people like citrus in there food and some people find it overwhelming....squeeze a little lemon juice in the mix, stir and taste. Keep adding lemon juice until you get the "perfect" taste. I love lemon but I didn't want to overwhelm the dish with too much of the lemon juice so I was able to get it perfect to my liking. Remember, squeeze juice in, stir and taste.
Cook on low heat until the chicken has cooked for 30 minutes.

Now that the 30 minutes has passed, turn the chicken over and add the low fat cream of mushroom mix all over the chicken. Top it off now with your sliced almonds. Put back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

This is what the final product looks like.
Serve with white or brown rice and or a salad.
It's delish! It will be one of your favorite easy dishes to make because surely it's my family's favorite chicken dish to date!
Thanks Mandy!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I love it! You really took a lot of the extra fat out of the recipe without sacrificing flavor. Have you ever used greek yogurt in place of sour cream. I haven't but heard it is an easy substitute and I bet in this recipe with all the added ingredients like the soup, and lemon that you wouldn't be able to tell the different. Great post!