Thursday, October 23, 2008

Homemade Tomato Soup


So today I'm in my pantry putt-in around trying to find something to make...soup preferably (not feeling to hot today). I figure out that I have all the right ingredients for a tomato soup recipe I found at Rookie Cookie blog (by the way, I love that blog). There are a few things I would might try differently next time...I might add something to it to make it spicy or I could add some sun dried tomatoes in there as well, to give it more chewy and chunky bits. This soup is absolutely delicious and very healthy.

1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 T butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, RESERVING THE JUICES, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/8 to 1/4 cup of olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil. Once it's done, wait about 5 minutes. Pour into a blender (or use a handheld immersion blender) and puree until smooth.

No comments: