1 box of dried lasagna noodles
8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion (diced finely in food processor)
1 stick of butter
1/3 cup of milk
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
2 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese
Full of flavor, this pierogi casserole is nothing short of rich & hearty goodness. My entire family loved it, including my 1 year old baby girl. I was able to make it during the day and quickly bake it before Bart got home for dinner. I served it with a sausage patty which complimented the dish nicely. Cost less than $10 to make and there is plenty of leftovers! If you love pierogis, you'll love this dish, total comfort food!
1. Cook pasta accordingly to package. Set aside.
2. Cook potatoes in boiling water for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash well until it's creamy, I used a hand blender.
3. In a large skillet, add onions until tender. Add to mashed potatoes once onions are done.
4. Now add the butter, milk, salt and pepper and 1 1/2 cups of cheese together and stir together with a spoon. Make sure you taste, taste, taste, if you feel it needs more salt, add more, salt, more pepper, add more pepper.
5. Let mix sit for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to mix together.
6. In a casserole dish, spray with cooking spray, add a layer of pasta, potato mixture and then sprinkle with a little more cheese. Repeat this step until all the ingredients are used. Top off with remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.