Thursday, April 16, 2009

Almond Balls


Since I still have my cold, I asked my darling husband to go to the store for me to get a few things for the family. A gallon on milk, salad, a rotisserie chicken, juice and roasted almonds. Almonds is one of my go-to snacks while on this diet of mine (for all the new readers, I had a baby just a few months ago). Anyway, he came home with the groceries and with a big bag of raw almonds. RAW ALMONDS. Who buys raw almonds? Well o.k., maybe a few of you out there but not me, never, no way, no how, H, E to the double LL no. The only problem is this, I opened the bag, took a nibble and then realized they were raw, sigh. It was too late, I couldn't return it opened like this so I closed it, put it in my little dark pantry and went to lay down on the couch, stupid raw almonds, stupid diet and stupid head-cold.

Well, while laying on the couch and resting, I remembered I had a jar of almond extract that I have never used and now that I was given these almonds, I had to figure out something, so I thought, hmmm, almond balls.

My husband and son LOVED these and boy, did they smell good. Bart (yes, my husbands name is Bart) said that these reminded him of childhood cookies....whenever a cookie or any food reminds you of your childhood, it must be good. These cookies are smooth and soft in the center and nutty crunchy on the outside.

I highly recommend almond extract, if you don't have it, next time your shopping, grab yourself a bottle. It's delish.

1 cup of salt, room temp
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 eggs, yokes in one bowl and egg whites in another bowl
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon of almond extract - drizzle a little more if your darling and love almonds
2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of milk
1 cup of sliced almonds or crushed almonds

Preparation:

Pre-heat over at 350 degress.

Cream the butter then beat sugar in gradually. Add the egg yolks and extracts and beat until fluffy. Stir in about half the flour, add the milk and then beat well. Stir in the remaining flour and knead just until blended in.

Shape into small balls and roll in lightly beaten egg whitse and then into the almonds. Place on greased baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned on bottoms. Cool on rack.

10 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Almonds are my favorite nut...love them in any shape or form. Next time he comes home w/ raw, just turn oven to 350, spread them on a baking sheet and roast them yourself. It'll take maybe 10-15 mins...check & shake pan occasionally. You'll smell them when they're done. Pour them onto a bowl while still warm, add salt if ou wish and toss. DELISH!

Christina Kim said...

Way to be creative with your raw almonds! Looks delicious.

Kathy said...

Yum!! I've never had almond balls before - can I come to your house? ;) lol... I guess I was a very deprived child!!!

My crazy crazy life said...

I only eat raw almonds...they are awesome...give em a try, they are super yummy and super healthy. These balls look delish!!

Jamie said...

Maybe it was love, bringing you something from the grocery that would inspire your creativity! These look yummy!

BTW, love meeting fellow foodies named Jamie/Jaime!

Donna-FFW said...

I adore almonds and these sound so delicious. Awesome idea to use them this way..

Juliana said...

The almond balls look delicious, very tempting. Moreover, almond should be good for your health.

unconfidentialcook said...

I bet the texture of these balls is just fantastic! Yum!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Hope you get better soon. Your almond balls looks yummy.

The Duo Dishes said...

Oooh, we've fallen for all those almonds. Good stuff.